I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (#5304), have a Masters Degree in Counselling, and am trained in several counselling approaches: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Family Therapy, Couples Therapy, Addiction Counselling, and General Mental Health Counselling. I specialize in helping couples (communication, affairs, parenting, conflicts), individuals (addictions, depression, anxiety, anger, and self-esteem), families and youth. I have over 10 years counselling experience in the Kamloops area.
I began my path to becoming a counsellor by completing a Bachelor of Arts, Psychology Major, through the Thompson Rivers University. I subsequently completed a Masters in Counselling through the University of Calgary. Additional professional development has included Brief Systemic Family Therapy, Gottman Couples Therapy, Narrative Therapy Training, Satir Trauma Training, and Motivational Interviewing Training. In addition to working in private practice, I am a Core Addictions Practice Instructor for the Kamloops Region, and a Motivational Interviewing Interior Health Region Community of Practice Animator. I’ve worked with various agencies including Youth Forensic Psychiatric Services, the Phoenix Centre, Interior Community Services, and Kiwanis House. With these agencies, my responsibilities have included individual, family, and group therapy, supervision of an outpatient treatment program, conducting psychosocial assessments for the justice system, violent and sexual offender treatment, and general mental health treatment.
My approach to counselling emphasizes compassionate engagement, collaboration, and confidentiality. My warm, respectful, and genuine therapeutic style creates the necessary safety and trust for your personal journey of healing and wellness. I believe that through our conversations, you will learn ways to reduce suffering and embrace your life’s potential for joy, meaning, and fulfillment.
On a more personal note, I am happily engaged in a relationship with a wonderful woman and am the proud father of two teenagers. Given my strong appreciation for nature and its healing abilities, I tend to seek active, outdoor activities such as cross-country skiing, hiking, soccer, and cycling. In more restful moods, I enjoy reading literature and playing chess. Although I have not traveled for years, I have an adventurous spirit, and have journeyed to various countries in Europe and Africa.
Download Sean’s Curriculum Vitae
- Roots: Namao, Alberta
- Training: Psychology and Counselling
- Approach to Therapy: Match people’s needs with best practices in a warm, respectful, and genuine relationship.
- Recommended book(s): A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry and The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
- What is he doing when not working: I tend to seek active, outdoor activities such as cross-country skiing, hiking, soccer, and cycling. In more restful moods, I enjoy reading literature and playing chess.
- Areas of study: Positive psychology, youth development, mindfulness, relationship counselling, and community.
- Something he loves: Massages, cross country skiing, amazing friends, soccer, family, and dancing.
- Ways to care for self: Asking loved ones for their support, breathing deeply, listening to soothing music, eating healthy, getting big sleeps, and being outdoors.
- Inspired by: Kindness
- Favourite dish: Nature’s Fare salad plate!
- Favourite quote: “Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe